Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens

Nong Nooch 2008 (69).jpg

The beauty of Thailand is equaled by few and nothing exemplifies this point more than Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens.

In 1954 Mr.Pisit and Mrs. Nongnooch Tansacha bought 1500 rais (approximately 600 acres) of beautiful land in Chonburi province. By all accounts the land was to be used as a fruit plantation growing mangoes, coconuts and oranges as well as many other local fruits. Fortunately during a trip abroad Mrs Nongnooch viewed many world renowned gardens and decided to turn the land into tropical gardens of ornamental flowers and plants. Originally intended for botanical conservation the gardens were later turned into a tourist attraction.

Opened to the public in 1980 , the garden was named “ Suan Nong Nooch ” in honor of Mrs. Nongnooch, as the word “Suan” means garden. In addition to continuing on her life’s work of the garden, Mrs. Noongnooch spends her time between Bangkok and the orchard in Chieng-rai as well as Nong Nooch camping resort in Prachinburi province, which made its debut in 2001. In order to maintain the gardens, management was than handed over to her son, Mr. Kampon Tansacha. Nong Nooch garden is also dedicated to education, preservation, research as well as the conservation of its vast palm collection and other tropical plants.

Nong Nooch 2008 (51).jpg

Non Nooch Tropical Gardens have grown to include a beautiful cultural show and elephant shows as well as housing exotic birds, tigers and orangutans that the public can feed and hang out with. Among all the beautiful attractions you’ll also find two restaurants serving western and Thai food, trinket shops and concessions, and accommodation for an overnight stay if you so choose.

The gardens themselves are some of the most beautiful gardens in the world showcasing everything from French provincial gardens to English gardens as well as Topiary gardens and an awesome orchid garden housing well over 23 species of orchids that they also sell.

Nong Nooch 2008 (137).jpg

My first trip to Nong Nooch Gardens was in May of 2007 and I recently returned in January of 2008. The gardens are in a constant state of flux with new attractions being built all the time. Plants and flowers change with the seasons so no matter when you go you’ll be guaranteed to see new sights and new colors.

Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens is a must see while in Thailand and makes for a wonderful day trip.

Visit their website for more information on hours and specials: Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens

Visit the gallery to see over 1000 pictures of the beautiful gardens:

Nong Nooch Gardens 2007

Nong Nooch Gardens 2008

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

1. I love gardens and tropical gardens are especially lovely. Seems I need to make a trip to Chonburi to see this next time I’m in Thailand. It sounds like it would be a wonderful way to spend the day. Thanks for the information!

Thailand Musings’s last blog post..News and Musings of the Past and Future

Thailand Musings | Mar 10, 2008 | Reply

2. haven’t been to Thailand yet, wish i could also visit these wonderful places.

biyahilo’s last blog post..Antwerp

biyahilo | Mar 18, 2008 | Reply

3. The pictures don’t do the gardens justice…so much color and beauty all around it really is amazing and a great day trip.

talen | Mar 19, 2008 | Reply

4. WOW! Those gardens are awesome! I sure wish I had the time and talent to do more with my tiny little weed overgrown garden!

ê¿ê

Margaret | Jul 2, 2008 | Reply

5. I love gardens. The serenity and tranquility that nature provides through gardens full of beautiful flowers cannot be reproduce with any artificial or scientific process. They can only be enjoyed. That is not to talk about the healing power they possess for the body and mind. If you ever feel stressed up, a sure way to get yourself reinvigorated is to take a walk in a natural garden.
    Thanks for this beautiful piece. I however wish that the pictures are bigger and more illustrative of the beauty of the Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens

Nigerian Entrepreneurs last blog post..Windows Live Writer Tutorial

Nigerian Entrepreneur | Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

6. Those gardens look absolutely beautiful and I would love to be able to visit them. A well written and enjoyable post Thanks for sharing it.

Mark | Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

7. Nigerian, if you click the pictures they show full size on this page and throughout the gallery.

Talen | Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

8. Oh what I could do with a camera there. I so need to travel more. I would love to go photograph exotic places. Maybe once I learn how to write grants I can write one for myself to go travel and take pictures for a book or something.

Rachels last blog post..Sky Watch: Shasta

Rachel | Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

9. Beautiful. I love garden pics. I visited the galleries too. Equisite.

Firestorm Forum | Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

10. OMG, those are truly beautiful gardens! I would love to visit and paint them! :)
    glams last blog post..Beauty in a Photograph: Odd Vantage

glam | Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

11. I’m jealous :) Living in Las Vegas means tons of brown… Gorgeous, lush green pictures!

oimdiane | Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

12. The gardens look wonderful, I wish I was there :)
    Psyches last blog post..Advertising Oopsies

Psyche | Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

13. Wow! My girlfriend really really wants to go to Thailand but I am afraid because of that movie….hmmm, the one where the women get locked up. Nice site!

cash cow killer from the internet | Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

14. Beautiful pictures of a beautiful place. I’ve always wanted to go there.

Ginas last blog post..And Today Is Our Independence Day: Big Movies

Gina | Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

15. Beautiful pictures of the gardens, I have never been there, probably never will be. Hubby was in Bangkok in 1972, he remembers the Temples.

Brees last blog post..Whats in a name?

Bree | Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

16. Very Nice Post and some great images. I found you at Firestorm.

Beamer