Wandering throughout Thailand

Mom's Folder

When I’m in Thailand I become a different person than I am in The U.S.  I become more of an explorer and while I’m not discovering new lands or people I am discovering more of myself and the Thailand that I have grown to love. Thailand isn’t perfect by any means but it’s so far off the beaten track in terms of cultural differences of what I know that it seems like it could be perfect.

I think we all find something in our lives that bring on such feelings at one time or another, it’s what shapes us and makes us who we are. It’s not so much the destination or that perfect sunset picture but the journey that led to it. I become a nomad of sorts when the plane touches down in Bangkok, wandering from place to place searching for something more, something else. The best part is that I am a digital nomad so I can take pictures and share my journey with anyone that wants to come along.

In 2007 I sent pictures home daily to my brother who printed them out to show to my mother, who was otherwise worried about her youngest son being on his own in Thailand for an extended stay. Mom passed away last December, but not before showing me a large folder with all the printed out pictures and emails I had sent over 5 weeks while I was in Thailand. They meant something to her because Thailand meant something to me. A year on and her laugh is still dearly missed.

It’s the little things that are most important, like the folder of my journey that my Mom kept or the fact that I have it now and even though I lived through the journey this folder means more to me than the journey itself…because it meant something to her.

No matter where you are in life, take pictures and make memories that you can share with those you love. And remember to keep an eye out for those little things because they are often the things that hold the most meaning although we sometimes overlook them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1. Talen, I reckon I have always had a wander lust. I always enjoy discovering new places and things to see and record.

I can identify with your Mum and her need when she was with us. Mine was just the same when she was a little younger. Even now though she is somewhat confused I still(via my brother & the Internet) manage to share my adventures with her.

Thank you to the person who invented digital photography and provided the ability for us to continue to share what is good.
    .-= Mike´s last blog ..Ao Manao-Japanese Landings 1941 =-.

Mike | Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

2. A very touching and important post Talen, thank you for your thoughts.

A timely reminder.
    .-= BangkokDan´s last blog ..Navigating The Bangkok Night =-.

BangkokDan | Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

3. Talen, great story of your Mom, Mine passed before digital, but I kept her walls and coffee table and fireplace mantle covered with pictures of me and my family , and when I traveled I always bought her little figurines to show her where I had been , when she passed ,my sister wanted these to display in her curio cabinit as she said “they were Mom’s treasures”.We never know how much little things mean to someone like your Mom and Mine,it’s been 25 years since Mom passed and like you , I still miss her smile and the funny way she laughted too , THANKS FOR STIRRING UP A GOOD MEMNORY TODAY. Malcolm
    Talen , I know the post was about traveling around Thailand and how you love it , BUT I really enjoyed the Mom part most.
    .-= malcolm´s last blog ..!!!!!!!!!!!!! TIMBER !!!!!!!!! =-.

malcolm | Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

4. A very moving post but one which also has a great message about life. Go forward and discover, learn, live and love but cherish and remember how you got there but don’t forget those left behind.

My mother died when I was eight but my father is still going strong in his late seventies. He still worries about my Thailand trips even now. He thinks they might eat me.
    .-= Martyn´s last blog ..The Thailand – Burma Death Railway =-.

Martyn | Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

5. Forgot to add, I hope you are feeling better. You must be to have written such a touching post. Perhaps a couple of beers are due as a final dose of medicine. Have a good day.
    .-= Martyn´s last blog ..The Thailand – Burma Death Railway =-.

Martyn | Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

6. Hey Talen, thanks for the post, and sorry to hear of your mother… Adventuring through Thailand is so addictive, Thailand certainly does have a knack at hooking us Western folk, I know I was after my 3rd or 4th visit… Cheers and Chok Dee na Kub. Ben
    .-= Ben Shingleton´s last blog ..Family Meal in Thailand =-.

Ben Shingleton | Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

7. Such a sweet post Talen. I can see you wandering around Thailand with your camera, taking all of those oddities that you share here.

Hugs to you and your memories. And may you feel better soon.

Catherine | Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

8. I am sorry to hear about your mom.Your post is something more, it is coming from your heart.
    Sincerely thanks for sharing.

Chris | Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

9. Talen,

Thank you for your touching post. I know I have been guilty in the past of neglecting to share my memories with others although I try to do better with each passing day. Like you, I bring some photos and trinkets back for my mom after each trip (unfortunately I haven’t been able to convince her to get a PC or internet access, so digital sharing isn’t possible) and she proudly displays all of the memories that I bring back to her. I can only hope that she continues to travel vicariously through me for a very long time.
    .-= Thailand Musings´s last blog ..Thailand iPhone Survey =-.

Thailand Musings | Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

10. Thank you all for your great comments…I’m still sick as a dog and haven’t had a chance to comment anywhere this week…Once I get my wits back about me I’ll be around to check out all the great blog posts I’ve been missing.

I don’t know what flu I have but it might be poetic justice if it turns out to be H1N1 …and still I think it’s a farce.

Talen | Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

11. Talen , get well soon and I hope you went to the Dr. for some help to get well , takr care .

malcolm | Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

12. life is crazy sometimes and seems so pointless when we lose the one.s we love
    but aim sure it fills your heart to know what you meant to each other
    that kind of love never really dies it stays inside you
    with flashbacks it springs back to mind those special moments
    regards john
    .-= expatudon08´s last blog ..bus/ train/car to udon thani to nong khai =-.

expatudon08 | Dec 10, 2009 | Reply

1 Trackback(s)

1. Dec 8, 2009: from Twitted by 1081009th

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.