Cleaning Up Pattaya Beach

Pattaya Beach clean up crew

Cleaning up Pattaya Beach

Over the last two days I’ve been hanging out at the beach working on my tan and checking in on my friends the jet ski operators and while Monday and Tuesday were relatively quiet on the jet ski scams I noticed a crowd of people moving up the beach on Monday around 3pm. As they got closer I realized it was city officials as well as local police all wearing T-shirts that read ” Clean up Pattaya for You”.

Now, last week I remember seeing some comments on the Mayors Pattaya Future Facebook page about all the garbage along Pattaya beach and how it really needs to be looked into and cleaned up. Next thing you know we have city officials walking the beach picking up trash. On the face of it it this is a positive step showing the people that City Hall is indeed listening , but in all honesty it just looked like a good photo op. And there were Photographers snapping away.

While the pictures and a presence of any kind on Pattaya’s beach is a welcome sight I can’t help but feel it’s not enough. While The city officials did a wonderful job picking up every little bit of trash on the beach Monday sadly there was no one cleaning the beach on Tuesday. And then I started thinking.

I love Pattaya beach, it really is a great place to relax but there really is a lot of trash strewn everywhere and floating in the ocean, but what am I doing about it? It’s not just up to the city but it’s citizens have a responsibility as well to keep the city clean.

No city is perfect and problems will always exist but the issues that have been raised recently about Pattaya beach are an easy fix, you just have to implement the changes. Some may be easier than others but you don’t have to go it alone, many Thai’s and expats would love to lend a hand. Get the word out and let us help.

Talk is cheap and it’s easy for me to sit behind my monitor and type away but I’m willing to help out, I really am. As for cleaning up Pattaya beach how about you start a volunteer clean up organization like the Tourist Police Volunteers? I’ll give you a couple of days a week and I know many other expats and Thai’s alike would love to help out and would do the same or more. We wouldn’t even need cool uniforms or anything just some trash bags and pokers to pick up the trash, or hands, hands are good, we could use our hands.

You could run a full page ad in the local papers asking for volunteers, I bet the response would be huge, okay, maybe not huge, it is trash we are talking about. I would bet though that there would be a good enough response to start a volunteer group to keep Pattaya beach clean. It wouldn’t cost the city anything and it might inspire people to do other acts of random kindness to improve Pattaya.

Mr. Mayor there are many people in this town that see the potential that Pattaya has and maybe if we all work together we can make a positive change.

I have been critical about things going on at Pattaya beach but that’s because I live here and I care. I’m willing to help out and to help get others involved. Let’s do this this, let’s set up a volunteer trash patrol and keep Pattaya beach clean.

talensig

More Great Thailand Tales:

14 Responses to Cleaning Up Pattaya Beach
  1. SiamRick
    March 15, 2011 | 7:27 pm

I just get back to your front page and you’ve posted another “Active Man” story! Good for you, Talen.

If I lived in Pattaya, I’d join your sanitation legion.

Fortunately in BKK, the city cleaners go out each night and, combined with good vendor practices, my Din Daeng neighbourhood is kept shipshape each day.

I don’t think I can’t keep up with your crusades and posts, though ;-)
    SiamRick recently posted..Isaan tour 2011- Wedding in Sakon NakhonMy Profile

• Talen
      March 17, 2011 | 6:36 pm

Rick, you’d like my sanitation crew…mostly female and the uniform is a bikini :)

Wait…next month I have a telethon planned for lonely bar girls :)

2. Bluegreen Kirk
    March 15, 2011 | 8:42 pm

Great to see people giving back to a place they enjoy. Beached need to be kept clean both for the beach, animals, and people visiting.
    Bluegreen Kirk recently posted..A Snorkeling Vacation In Dry Tortugas Offers Reefs Of Fun And AdventureMy Profile

3. Bill
    March 16, 2011 | 7:26 am

It’s an improvement but they need someone to teach and supervise the city work staff.
    There is still lots of stuff being left behind.

4. Gordo
    March 16, 2011 | 9:19 am

Greetings from a bit north of Sendai
    Japan Talen….If the Pattaya Volunteer Beach Cleanup Corps takes off why not have a feed at a different venue after each clean up. It could be used to plan the next cleanup “operation” and discuss what’s needed and not needed, ways to improve how it all gets done etc…etc…etc.

g

• Talen
      March 17, 2011 | 6:21 pm

Gordo, Not a bad idea, I don’t know if a volunteer cleanup crew would work or if the powers that be would even consider it but we’ll see I guess. Be safe over there in Japan my friend.

5. Mike
    March 16, 2011 | 12:57 pm

Talen, its pleasing to see some action being taken, but in all honesty this is note just a Pattaya problem(rubbish).

Sadly many tourist attractions throughout the country suffer the same fate.

It really is about the Thai peoples attitude towards their environment, not helped by the tourists who contribute to the litter particularly in places like Pattaya.

I am fairly confident in saying that 90% of what is being collected in the publicity stunt was dropped by the very people who are complaining about it.
    Mike recently posted..Thailand Trivia Photo Quiz-March 2011My Profile

• Talen
      March 17, 2011 | 6:19 pm

Mike, very true it is a Thailand problem…and hopefully that will change with time but it will be a hard battle.

6. rocky
    March 17, 2011 | 8:09 am

after the last article you published about the jet ski operators I would not go back to the beach again if I were you and I would also move. Good luck and good job!

• Talen
      March 17, 2011 | 6:16 pm

Rocky, hard to work on my tan without the beach besides I am making so many new friends there :P

7. Martyn
    March 17, 2011 | 1:42 pm

Talen that’s one big beach and one big task for you to think about taking on. The rate you’re going you could end up as the mayor of Pattaya yourself.

It’s nice to read about someone trying to clean-up both morally and physically a place they clearly love. How about trying to get motorists to stop at zebra crossings. That would be one helluva task.
    Martyn recently posted..Udon Thani’s Big Breakfast BattleMy Profile

• Talen
      March 17, 2011 | 6:15 pm

Martyn, While I may have a small penchant for some community service there are clearly limints….stoping traffic at the zebra crossings is more of a brick wall.

8. Snap
    March 18, 2011 | 3:39 pm

Talen, I’m sure you’re aware that it takes a lot of organisation to create and inspire such a group of volunteers. I wish you much luck! I often helped out at my girl’s school, reading, art, maths, fête stalls, tuckshop…but my time spent as voluntary treasurer of the ‘Mother’s Club’ were absolute hell.

I’ll refrain from making a derogatory remark about the name of that particular club, but I’m sure you can guess ;)

I suppose what I’m trying to say is that you need to be driven to some degree and a ‘people person’, which I am not. I look forward to reading more about your progress with the rubbish brigade!
    Snap recently posted..Visa Extension ButterfliesMy Profile

• Talen
      March 18, 2011 | 4:45 pm

Snap, I probably wouldn’t do well with the “mothers clubs” as well…picking up trash might be a better social activity for me. Apparently the beach is awash with trash today after some storms but for now I am tucked away in Bangkok far away from the beautiful trash sand beaches of Pattaya.