Living Like a Thai Day 4: Pee Baa Falang

Roadside restaurant food

Living like a Thai has it’s perks mmm

I’ve received enough e-mails by now that I am assured by consensus that I am not living like a Thai. Ya think? I know I am not really living as a Thai would but it was a good title for the series so I’m keeping it.

It’s bad enough falang think I’m crazy for trying this experiment but now one of the condo’s cleaning ladies thinks I’m insane as well. This particular cleaning lady likes me as I collect all of my plastic bottles for her and her friends…I usually give her a big plastic bag full once or twice a month. This morning as I was leaving for my normal morning constitutional I spotted my cleaning lady and she was holding a freshly emptied water jug. I said my hellos and then politely asked if I might have the water jug. Well, what could she say but sure as I’ve kept her in plastic for months.

So, I go out for my normal walk and buy some fresh pineapple for breakfast at 20 baht ( $.68 ) and then when I get home I figure I’ll take my two empty jugs to the water station. As I left the condo the cleaning ladies were watching me wondering what the hell I was up to. Luckily I found a new water station just up the street from me, I never saw it before because it’s hidden in a small shop. 10 baht ( $.32 )later I have 2 full jugs and I’m heading home. I heard the one cleaning lady say in Thai as I walked in the condo lobby ” why he not buy water at 7/11 like all the other falang?” I could have sworn I heard a pee baa ( crazy ) after that but I could be mistaken.

I ended up working on the website most of the day cleaning up backend stuff and forgot about lunch but made sure to hit the roadside restaurants near me for a delicious bowl of dinner and at 30 baht ( $1.02 ) it was priced just right.

Seeing as I had a bit of rum stashed away from before the start of the experiment and I’ve been doing so well I stopped by 7/11 and treated myself to a medium sized bottle of coke for 24 baht ( $.81 ) Tonight I am going to enjoy an alcoholic beverage with my nasty Thai cigarettes :P

Observations today: I’m starting not to think about food until I am actually hungry which is how it should be. I think this little experiment will not only help me to realize that I don’t need to spend more on most items I think it will help me get into shape as well.

Purchase Amount Cost Total
Fruit 1 20 baht 20 baht
Water re-fill 2 5 baht 10 baht
Dinner 1 30 baht 30 Baht
Coke 1 medium bottle 24 baht 24 baht
84 baht ( $2.86 )
June Total 557 baht ( $18.96 )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1. Talen, I love your mini-{social and budgetary} experiment ! Keep it up as long as it suits YOU.

Heck with the nay-sayers. 555

Joe | Jun 4, 2011 | Reply

2. Talen I think your series title is perfect. Absolutely spot on.

Cheap cigarettes washed down with rum and coke, living like a Thai doesn’t sound too bad at all.

Great series.

Martyn | Jun 5, 2011 | Reply

3. I think what you are doing is a great thought experiment. The exact numbers aren’t really that important since salaries and expenses vary anyway.

Rice cookers are an awesome addition to ones kitchen if you are making Asian food a lot. Not sure you could afford one this month though :)

Capp | Jun 5, 2011 | Reply

4. Don’t forget one important aspect of living like a Thai – mooching. When my now Thai wife was between jobs she’d live with relatives who couldn’t really boot her out. She did honest work, cleaning and cooking for everyone, but had little money to help with food or pay rent.
    If your running short in the challenge don’t be afraid to go to your friends looking for a handout, it’s not cheating, it’s ‘living like a Thai’.

Rambone | Jun 5, 2011 | Reply

5. When you mentioned getting coke at 7-11 for your rum it reminded me of the (probably) 1000, or more, times I’ve had to run down to 7-11 to get more ice, soda, coke(for me), and “Piper big size” (100 Pipers Whiskey) while my wife and her friends cooked and chatted in the room.

They can drink and chat for hours but, even though I am drinking caffeine laden coke, the constant droning of Thai women’s voices always lulls me to sleep.

ChuckWow | Jun 5, 2011 | Reply

6. Chuck, Been there and have been lulled as well although I think the alcohol helps :)

Talen | Jun 5, 2011 | Reply

7. Rambone, I don’t think I’ll have to mooch…although if anyone wants to take me out for a night on the town this month I am available :P

Talen | Jun 5, 2011 | Reply

8. Capp, the very first purchase I made when I moved to Thailand was a beer…the second was a rice cooker.

Talen | Jun 5, 2011 | Reply

9. Martyn, after the second rum and coke the cigarettes started to taste better…

Talen | Jun 5, 2011 | Reply

10. Joe, I will definitely make it through the month and I think some aspects of the experiment will carry on… will have to wait and see I guess.

Talen | Jun 5, 2011 | Reply

11. The only problem is I don’t drink Alcohol. It’s just the combination of the heat of the room, breeze from the ceiling fan, and the constant background noise that put me to sleep.

Soon enough, though, I will receive my wake-up call – “Honey, wake up, we go X-zyte, Karaoke, Walking, etc…”

ChuckWow | Jun 6, 2011 | Reply

12. Chuck, that’s a very nice wake up call though :)

Talen | Jun 6, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.