Living Like a Thai Day 8: Going AWOL

Going AWOL in Thailand

Living Like a Thai The AWOL Edition

Today I’ve been good budget wise, well, I’ve been good up to this this writing as of 5:30pm. The past 7 days have gone well I think but there has been way too much staying in and being good. Now it’s time to try my hand at going out on my Thai budget. This has been coming for a few days and I pretty much knew yesterday that I was going out tonight.

Obviously I have to adjust my going out behavior to accommodate my meager Thai budget, and since I have been good the past few days I am giving myself a budget of 200 baht for the evening.  Obviously my budget means I won’t be drinking my normal Jack and Cokes because at 100 baht a pop it will be an early evening so I will be sipping the cheaper 55 baht beers and hoping that a particular bar owner takes pity on me and buys a few rounds.

Luckily I have just the bar owner in mind and just the bar…Rick knows the place I am talking about. Have you ever seen the T.V. show Cheers? Well, if you have you will be familiar with the character Norm. Lets just say that my bar stool is actually a corner booth and everyone that works in the place, including the daytime cleaning lady, knows my name…sadly, I am Norm. Actually it’s not so sad :)

So, I will be going out this evening and seeing if my self control and willpower will allow me to have a couple of beers and some laughs with friends without blowing my budget in one night.

As for my budget so far today the only purchase I have made is 2 water re-fills at 10 baht ( $.34 ). For breakfast I had my last banana and mangosteen and for a late lunch I had…what else but noodles.

This post will be continued tomorrow with a full accounting of the nights spend…fingers crossed I will be a good boy and stick to my budget.

talensig
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1. Hi Talen,
    Have a good night !
    Be careful with those noodles. I’ve heard they can leave wax deposits in your stomach if you eat them over a long period of time. A month should be okay though.
    Love the website.
    Cheers,
    HowieD
    Melbourne, Australia.

HowieD | Jun 8, 2011 | Reply

2. Fascinating adventure !

I am riveted to this series. Must get my daily updates !

Joe | Jun 8, 2011 | Reply

3. Heh, heh, I know where you’re going and there’s just too many temptations, ahem. Good luck on that, buddy! Maybe you should try New Plaza instead. Very, very cheap, but I don’t have to tell you that since you took me there.

Just a health note: I am reminded of Morgan Spurlock’s documentary of a month-long diet of McD. You’re eating a lot of salt, MSG, cheap noodles, very little meat, low grade fry oil, etc. You might not feel so good at the end. You may need a meat/vegetable infusion for a few days afterward. And if you lose weight too fast, you may find yourself gorging for a few days. Easy does it! Just a frinedly reminder.

SiamRick | Jun 8, 2011 | Reply

4. just put blinders on tonight and maybe snow mittens , what you cannot see or feel you will not want :)
    I think you are playing this wrong, living cheap does not mean living like a hermit , you need to get out , bring some ice water, get some bananas when hungry and be around people.

Good Luck tonight….

DaveD | Jun 8, 2011 | Reply

5. This is a great series Talen. I hope your night out went well. Be careful not to tip to too much; your generosity could mean nothing to eat for a week:)

Paul Garrigan | Jun 9, 2011 | Reply

6. are you losing weight yet?

Lani | Jun 10, 2011 | Reply

7. I definitely feel like I am and pants feel a little looser but I won’t know for sure till the end of the month when I weigh myself.

Talen | Jun 10, 2011 | Reply

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.