The Thai Cuckoo Clock

Thai Cuckoo Clock

Doesn’t look much like a cuckoo clock does it? No pendulum, chains or housing for the bird to come out of, then again this isn’t a normal cuckoo clock…this is a Thai cuckoo clock. It also doesn’t work like a normal cuckoo clock as in chiming on the quarter hour, half hour etc. well, it may just be broken I don’t know but at random points around the hour a Gecko pops out of my clock. When it thinks it’s the half hour he just pops out his head and when he thinks it’s the hour he comes out all the way. What, did you expect a bird? This is Thailand.

Thai Cuckoo Clock

Thai Cuckoo Clock

He ( I think it’s a he ) moved in about a month and a half ago and chose the clock as his home. He comes out at night and roams the ceiling and walls protecting me from small critters and other gecko’s. Occasionally he positions himself over my head while on the sofa and talks to me and other times when in bed at night he’ll run across the ceiling stop above me, yell at me and then run back to his clock.

What makes my clock living guest even funnier is the fact that he sometimes sounds  similar to a cuckoo clock.

He can’t tell time for crap but he makes a pretty good pet…as in I don’t have to feed him or do much of anything to him and he takes care of the insects for me. I also have a sink dwelling Gecko but he doesn’t like me much.

talensig

More Great Thailand Tales:

9 Responses to The Thai Cuckoo Clock
  1. Daran
    December 8, 2011 | 12:23 am

I also have one of these “jin jok’s” living in our external mural, and when im enjoying an early evening beer whilst watching the sun go down and listening to a tune or 2 on from the Ipod he pops and joins in with the songs. the little joys of residing in LOS

• Talen
      December 14, 2011 | 2:02 am

Daran, it’s the little things isn’t it…

2. Gordo
    December 8, 2011 | 9:44 am

Talen…

We have a tokay in the loo….doesn’t
    talk much but whenever we’re in there
    he pop’s his head out for a look-see.
    When friends are over & use the facilities, especially those which don’t know he’s in there….some interesting incidents are known to happen…..especially when all 12 inches of him stroll out from behind the toilet….

• Talen
      December 14, 2011 | 2:01 am

Gordo, A peeping Tokay…nice. I don’t mind them at all but a large one might cramp my style a bit.

3. Sabai
    December 12, 2011 | 4:24 am

Better than finding a massive spider crawling from under the clock.

• Talen
      December 14, 2011 | 2:00 am

Sabai…I second that.

4. Martyn
    December 12, 2011 | 5:07 am

Does that say Seiko on the clock or Gecko?

‘…when in bed at night he’ll run across the ceiling stop above me..’

That puts a whole new meaning to waking up to a crap day.

Good post and a very different one at that.

• Talen
      December 14, 2011 | 1:59 am

Martyn, he’s too fast for me to find out if he has Seiko stamped on his ass :P as for the ceiling bit I think he’s just saying good night…I hope he is just saying good night.

5. steph
    December 16, 2011 | 2:04 pm

I have a soft spot for those little house geckos. Have one that’s been living under the rice cooker for years now. he eats the bits of rice that drop out when we scoop rice for dinner. There’s another that lives under the sofa in the living room. sometimes while watching TV i see the little guy darting around on the floor as fast as can be. Terrifies my sister to no end.
    wish i stayed nearer to Thailand so I could have a ‘pet’ tokay as well. they’re beautiful creatures.

Steph from Kuala Lumpur